East Texas Road Construction Projects Dec 7 – Dec 11
(From a TxDOT Press Release)
Work continues on a $1.4 million construction project in Nacogdoches County located on Starr Avenue (FM 1878) that will add two additional lanes of travel and widen sidewalks.
Crews continue to relocate utilities with work scheduled between North Street and Clark Boulevard on Starr Avenue. The project will include widening the roadway from two to four lanes. Concrete curb and gutter and widened sidewalks will also be included and traffic signals at North Street and Mound Street will be replaced.
Drewery Construction is contractor for the project that is scheduled to be completed by March, 2016. TxDOT has accelerated the project with hopes of lessening the impact on the traveling public. Starr Avenue will be closed to through traffic for the duration of the project.
Work schedules are subject to change due to weather or other unforeseen issues. Additional construction and maintenance plans for the nine-county Lufkin District for the remainder of the week and into the week of Dec. 7-11 include:
- US 59/SL 287: Work will continue to finish the last section of the eastbound main lanes near the Moffett Road bridge. Crews will continue to work on U-turn bridges adjacent to Business 59.
- BU 59: Work to construct retaining walls continues at the A&NR Railroad Underpass as well as lime treatment to the soil.
- US 59/FM2021: Crews will lay hot mix on the southbound main lanes near the FM 2021 overpass.
- US 59/SL 224: Crews continue to work preparing right-of-ways on US 59 in advance of widening Spradley Street. Utility crews continue to relocate throughout the project. Work will continue on the new westbound exit ramp.
- SL 224: Contract crews will continue to work on guard rails and culverts at various locations from SH 7 East to US 259.
- FM 1878: Maintenance crews will be conducting mill and inlay operations from SL 224 to FM 1275 (University Drive).
- US 287: Construction crews will place asphalt on driveways throughout the project that will add left and right turn lanes on US 287, 2.5 miles west of US 59 at the entrance to the OSB manufacturing plant.
- FM 1988: Crews will place drill shafts and prepare embankment to replace the bridge and bridge approaches at Long King Creek.
- Various locations: Crews have set concrete for the newly constructed bridge on Soda Loop East at Bluff Creek and continue to work toward setting concrete for new bridges and approaches on Hubert Cemetery Road at Dickens Branch and Kelly Road over Menard Creek.
- Various locations: Maintenance crews will routinely patrol the county repairing potholes and picking up litter.
- SH 7: Work on the subgrade will continue between Crockett and Kennard as construction crews work to add passing lanes and shoulders along a 7-mile stretch of roadway.
- SH 21: Crews will work on driveway culverts from FM 1280 to 2 miles east of FM 2967 where new passing lanes are being constructed.
- SH 21: Construction crews are preparing the right of way and beginning work on culvert extensions from 2.3 miles east of FM 2967 to SH 7 where pavement reconstruction and passing lanes will be added.
- SH 21: Maintenance crews will be working to level-up the roadway.
- FM 2967: Maintenance crews will work to level-up the roadway.
- FM 232: Maintenance crews will work to level-up the roadway.
SAN JACINTO COUNTY
- US 59: Crews will continue placing embankment near the overpass on FM 2914.
- US 59: Maintenance crews will be sweeping bridges in the next week.
- Various locations: Working on drainage issues in ditches and cleaning culverts.
- US 84 TX/LA Bridge: The eastbound bridge deck is completed and railing is being constructed on the newly constructed bridge that spans the Sabine River between Texas and Louisiana. Contractors are placing concrete pavement in Louisiana with plans to open First Street in coming days. Work will be scheduled to begin removing the westbound bridge for replacement in the near future.
- FM 139: Crews will continue working to safety treat driveways, cross drainage structures and guardrails throughout the project from SH 7 to SH 87.
- CR 4323: Bridge decks for Flat Fork Creek and Mill Creek have been completed and crews are working to construct bridge approaches for both bridges.
- Various locations: Maintenance crews will be patching and repairing roadway edges as needed.
SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY
- US 96 at Ayish Bayou: Crews have placed barriers and traffic has been shifted as crews prepare this week to work on constructing bridge approaches.
- SH 21: Crews are installing concrete curb and gutter, sidewalk and driveways as part of the intersection improvements at US 96.
- Various locations: Maintenance crews will remove debris from roadways and maintain culverts for proper drainage.
- SH 94: Crews will work to safety treat guardrails at White Rock Creek and Sandy Creek and continue to work on driveways in various locations along the highway.
- US 287, FM 1280: Maintenance crews will be working on roadway shoulders.
- FM 358: Maintenance crews will be patching roadway edges.
- Various locations: Maintenance crews will be completing sign repairs.
- FM 1592: Crews will continue to safety treat fixed objects from SH 103 to SH 184. Included in the project will be safety treating structures on FM 2261 from 3.4 miles east of SH 87 to CR 2844, and on FM 3184 from FM 139 to CR 126.
- FM 2866: Maintenance crews will level up roadway.