Houston Mall Evacuated When Hoverboard Catches Fire
Early Monday afternoon, a hoverboard that caught on fire forced the temporary evacuation of Deerbrook Mall in Humble.
According to a report from KHOU, multiple witnesses in the mall said that the hoverboard was boxed up at a kiosk inside the mall when flames and smoke started coming from the carton. The fire was extinguished within minutes and no injuries were reported. Deerbrook Mall was evacuated in accordance with their protocol.
Hoverboards were one of the more popular Christmas gifts this year, however, multiple claims of these boards catching on fire due to battery issues has caused hoverboards to be much maligned. In fact, several major retailers have now banned the sale of these items in their stores and through their online services.