Leap Year Fun Facts
February 29th comes around once every 4 year, for this special day, I've ran across some interesting fun facts for this special day on our calendar.
1. Leap day was created because of the Earth's rotation. It doesn't actually take 365 days to orbit the sun, it's actually a little longer - 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds. With that extra time it takes 4 years to make a complete day and they decided to add it to February.
2. The Romans were the first to add February 29th to the calendar, but were not the first to realize the days and seasons were getting a little off, that was noticed by the Egyptians. They realize the solar year and calendar year were not matching up!
3. Astrologers believe those born under the sign of Pisces on February 29th have a special status that is reflected through their personality and talents.
4. Our Presidential election year and the Summer Olympic games are coincidentally held during leap years!
5. Odds of having a birthday on leap day ... 1 in 1461 or about 0.068%.
6. It is considered unlucky for couples to get married during a leap year in Greece. 1 in 5 couples will avoid and put off getting married until the leap year has passed.
7. If you are born on February 29th, you can join the exclusive club, The Honor Society of Leap Year Day Babies.
8. Some countries will observe the day as "Rare Disease Day", calling for more research on the diseases that yet to have a cure.
9. Over in Scotland, Queen Margaret declared that a woman may propose to any man she liked on February 29th and if the man refused, he had to pay a fine by kissing her or buying her a new dress or a pair of gloves!
10. If your birthday is on February 29th and you're on Facebook - your birthday will show up every 4 years as it will not be displayed on February 28th or March 1st.